Chances are you’ve spent an afternoon falling into a rabbit hole in Youtube videos.
Yes, and I think I would be quite embarrassed to see the total time I spent on the platform.
While it is a great source of entertainment, YouTube has also proven to be a valuable tool for marketers. In reality, 70% of viewers purchased from a brand after viewing content on YouTube. And, with a global user base of over 2 billion people, it’s also safe to assume that your target audience is on the platform.
However, as with all social networks, creating a presence on YouTube requires understanding which segments of your audience are already there. Having this information makes it easier to create content that matches their interests, maximize the ROI, and achieve general marketing success. In this article, we’ll go over the key YouTube stats you need to know for 2021 to help you succeed in your marketing efforts.
YouTube Demographics 2021
Below, we’ll go over the most critical YouTube statistics that show marketers how the global audience is using the platform.
General demographics of YouTube users
- YouTube is the second most visited website in the world. (Hootsuite)
- YouTube accounts for over 25% of total global mobile traffic. (Sandvine)
- YouTube has over 2 billion users, representing almost a third of the entire Internet. (YouTube for the press)
- These more than 2 billion users are present in more than 100 countries and consume content in 80 different languages. (YouTube for the press)
- YouTube users watch one billion hours of content every day. (Hootsuite)
- YouTube is the second most popular channel for businesses sharing video content. (Amortize)
- 70% of viewers have purchased from a brand after seeing content on YouTube. (Google ads)
- YouTube will achieve 5.6 billion ad revenue in 2021 in the United States (eMarketer)
- YouTube is the best video streaming app, and the average user spends 23.2 hours per month watching content. (App Annie)
- The most popular YouTube search query is “song”. (Hootsuite)
- The most popular YouTube video is Pinkfong’s Kids Songs & Stories Baby Shark Dance, with 7.85 billion views. (Statista)
- The three most popular videos on YouTube are commentary videos (like vlogs), product reviews (like unboxes), and tutorial-style videos. (MediaKix)
- Users around the world watched over 100 billion hours of game content in 2020. (Youtube)
- YouTube TV ended the third quarter of 2020 with 3 million subscribers. (Alphabet)
- 70% of people used YouTube for exercise in 2020. (Youtube)
- Live streams on YouTube grew 45% in the first half of 2020. (Youtube)
YouTube age demographics
- In the third quarter of 2020, 77% of 15 to 25 year olds and 70% of 45 to 64 year olds in the United States used YouTube. (Statista)
- 21.2% of YouTube’s global audience is between 25 and 34 years old, and 17% between 35 and 44 years old. (Hootsuite)
- 80% of American parents with a child aged 11 or under say their child watches videos on YouTube, and 53% of those children use the platform on a daily basis. (Pew Research Center)
- Outside of China, 77% of Gen Z, 75% of Gen Y, 61% of Gen X, and 44% of Baby Boomers visit YouTube on a daily basis. (GlobalWebIndex)
- Those aged 18 to 34 use YouTube to watch video content on their TV 7.9% more often than basic cable and 14.5% than premium cable. (Variety)
- 46% of Gen Z and Millennials in the US and UK say they’ve watched a virtual event on YouTube. (GlobalWebIndex)
YouTube Gender Demographics
Please note that audience data for people who do not identify as cisgender men and women is not reported.
- 45.8% of the total YouTube advertising audience is female. (Hootsuite)
- 54.2% of the total YouTube advertising audience is made up of men. (Hootsuite)
- In the United States, Internet users, men and women, use YouTube equally. (Statista)
YouTube Geography Demographics
- In February 2021, 16.6% of visits to the YouTube site were from the United States, 9.4% from India and 4.9% from Japan. (Alexa)
- YouTube has launched local versions of the platform in over 100 countries. (YouTube for the press)
- eMarketer predicts that the number of YouTube users in India will reach 342 million in 2021. (eMarketer)
- 86% of US viewers say they often use YouTube to learn new things. (Think with Google)
Let data drive your YouTube strategy
Use these statistics to create a YouTube marketing strategy that meets the interests of your audience, generates revenue, and increases conversions.