The confrontation came as Bobi Wine called on the ICC to investigate President Museveni, senior officials for sanctioning human rights violations in Uganda.
Ugandan police clashed with popular opposition presidential candidate Bobi Wine in an online press conference Thursday that took place to announce a petition to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Reporters watched as an officer appeared to pull Bobi Wine from the car as he pleaded that he had not broken any laws. He added that police fired tear gas and bullets as they stormed his car.
“I am not even allowed to park on the side of the road,” he said. “Please do not embarrass our country.”
Bobi Wine was cleared to complete the briefing and continue. He spent the day campaigning during which he said 23 of his team had been arrested.
The singer and opposition leader announced he was calling on the ICC to investigate allegations of torture and other rights violations in the East African country ahead of next week’s elections.
Bobi Wine, 38, real name Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, has sparked the imaginations of many across Africa as he tries to topple longtime President Yoweri Museveni, who has deployed the military to prevent what he sees as attempts by the opposition. create civil unrest that could lead to regime change.
“Many atrocities are being committed on Museveni’s orders,” he told reporters.
There was no comment from government or police officials.
Bobi Wine has been arrested several times on various charges but has never been convicted. He says his life may be in danger and campaigns with a bulletproof vest and helmet.
“I expect a real bullet to be targeted at me at all times,” said Bobi Wine, who sent his children to the United States for safety reasons.
At least 54 people were killed in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, and other parts of the country in November as security forces quelled riots sparked by Bobi Wine’s arrest for allegedly violating campaign regulations aimed at to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
These deaths are an essential part of his petition to the ICC to investigate alleged acts of torture, mutilation and murder of civilian protesters.
The 41-page brief filed by him and two other alleged victims of torture mentions Museveni, Security Minister Elly Tumwine and eight senior security officials.
He calls on the ICC to examine incidents dating back to 2018, saying police and military have deployed “widespread use of gunfire to kill, beatings and other violence.”
Museveni has ruled Uganda since 1986. He has defied numerous calls for his retirement, saying he has been elected repeatedly by Ugandans who love him.
He spoke disparagingly of the ICC, calling it “a bunch of useless people”.