Hong Kong restricts dining in restaurants in Fourth Wave battle | Hong Kong


Carrie Lam says Wave Four is “more complicated and more serious” with cases “widespread” in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has banned eating in restaurants after 6 p.m. (10 a.m. GMT) and ordered gyms, beauty salons and massage parlors to close in a bid to contain a fourth wave of coronavirus infections in the densely populated city .

Carrie Lam, the chief executive of Hong Kong, announced the new measures on Tuesday.

“The situation is very worrying. This wave is more complicated and more severe than the last wave. Confirmed cases are widespread, ”Lam told reporters.

“If we don’t strictly control it, the risks will be greater. This time, we will put in place suppression measures aimed at limiting pedestrian traffic in the streets. “

Lam did not say when the new measures would take effect, but added that the city’s health minister, Sophia Chan, would announce more details later on Tuesday.

The government has previously urged residents of the Chinese-ruled city to stay at home and limit gatherings to no more than two, while most officials work from home.

Schools, bars and nightclubs were also ordered to close last week.

Hong Kong’s strict social distancing measures have gone a long way in keeping infections below 7,000 in the city of 7.5 million people, with 112 deaths.

But the cases recorded daily have risen again to more than 100 on several occasions in recent weeks, the highest level since July.

Hong Kong recorded 78 new COVID-19 infections on Monday, bringing its total to 6,976.

Lam called for additional precautions, saying the number of infections not found was increasing and younger ones were falling seriously ill with COVID-19.

“We need to be more careful, don’t be reckless,” she said.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *