Maybe you are seeing your parents in person for the first time in over a year. Or not – Covid-19 is still a threat, and international travel is still limited around the world. However, you can let them know you are thinking of them by giving them a gift that will make their life a bit easier. Whether it’s new ways to stay in touch or new hobbies to relieve anxiety, here are some of our favorite gift ideas for moms and dads.
Update April 2021: We have adjusted the prices and added a few new items.
Special offer for Gear readers: get a One year subscription to WIRED for $ 5 ($ 25 off). This includes unlimited access to WIRED.com and our print magazine (if you wish). Subscriptions help fund the work we do every day.
Gifts to keep in touch
- Facebook portal for $ 179: Stay in touch with loved ones by taking your Zoom video chats on the portal’s 10-inch screen with a built-in Alexa smart assistant. WIRED Senior Editor Adrienne So has been use it for zoom these past few months, and this is her favorite way to attend WIRED meetings. The camera automatically tracks the subject and automatically focuses on it if it moves during a call.
- Google Pixel 4A for $ 350: WIRED editor Julian Chokkattu says the Pixel 4A (9/10, WIRED recommends) is “almost perfect”. It hits well above its weight at this price. If your mom or dad needs a good smartphone but doesn’t need a $ 1,000 model, get them an unlocked Pixel 4A so they can use it on any network. operator. (Here are some other great options.)
- Lovebox Messenger for $ 100: It is a beech wood box with a simple screen under the lid. When the heart outside the box begins to spin, they’ll know there’s a message waiting for them, like “Happy Holidays, Pop. I miss you and see you soon” or “I love you, mum and dad, but s. ‘please stop. ” You can send any message of your choice, up to 168 characters, via a smartphone app. You can also link up to 20 Loveboxes.
- Aura Carver Smart Digital Photo Frame for $ 199: I know what you are thinking: digital photo frames are nothing new. But on a good photo, the photos look better than on a smart display. WIRED reviewer Medea Giordano is a fan frames of Aura. The 10-inch Carver’s clear 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution means it’s sharper than a Amazon Echo Show 10. It also has Alexa capabilities if you pair it with an Echo, so even if you’re thousands of miles away, your mom and dad can ask it to display photos from vacations and past vacations. There’s an app included so they can easily share photos from phone to phone, and it comes with unlimited cloud storage so you can keep them updated with photos of your life.
- Travelpro Crew Versapack for $ 180: If your parents are ready for a flight or a road trip, it might be time for a baggage upgrade. The Crew Versapack is my favorite soft shell suitcase of those I have tested. This is the expandable carry-on baggage size, which is small enough to avoid having to check your baggage on US airlines, but not on most international airlines. It has enough space for a long weekend, or longer if they are efficient packers.
Gifts to keep them entertained